Canapes - Cod Cakes w Pea and Lettuce Tartare Sauce
Blue Eye Trevalla Fish Cakes
250gm Blue Eye fish fillets, skin removed and pin boned
250gm Potato, cooked and mashed
1/2 Bunch Flat leaf Parsley, leaves picked, washed, drained and finely chopped
1/2 tsp Thai fish sauce
To taste Freshly ground white pepper
150gm Plain flour
2 Eggs, cracked and beaten
250gm Japanese breadcrumbs
2 Egg yolks (Free range and at room temperature), cracked
1/2 Lemon, juice only (at room temperature)
1 tsp Dijon mustard (at room temperature)
Salt to taste
500ml Grapeseed oil (at room temperature)
Pea and Lettuce Tartare Sauce
1 Batch Mayonnaise, as per recipe yield – see above
50gm Eschalots, topped, tailed, peeled and finely chopped
50gm Gherkins, finely chopped
50gm Lilliput capers
20gm Flat leaf Parsley leaves, picked, washed, drained and finely chopped
15gm Chervil leaves, picked, washed, drained and finely chopped
15gm Tarragon leaves, picked, washed, drained and finely chopped
50gm Garden peas, shelled, blanched, refreshed and drained
5gm Iceberg lettuce, washed, drained and finely sliced
To taste salt and freshly ground white pepper
1. To produce the Cod Cakes: Pre-heat a deep fryer (filled with vegetable oil) to 140c. 2. Over a moderate heat, bring a saucepan of well salted water to the boil, add the fish and poach for 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave fish fillets in the water until just cooked. Carefully remove from the water and allow to cool.
3. Once cooled, flake the cooked fish and place into a mixing bowl, along with the mashed potato, chopped parsley and fish sauce and thoroughly mix until all ingredients are combined. Season to taste with white pepper.
4. Weigh out the mixture into 40gm balls and press each ball into a 40 mm diameter cutter to a thickness of 1.5 cm.
5. Into separate mixing bowls, add the flour, beaten eggs and Japanese breadcrumbs, pass the fishcakes through the flour - shaking off any excess flour - then through the eggs and finally through the breadcrumbs, placing each fishcake onto a tray lined with baking paper.
6. Cook fish cakes in batches in the deep fryer until a golden brown and heated through. Then remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.
7. Place the eggs into the bowl of a food processor, add the lemon juice, Dijon mustard and salt to taste. Blend for a few seconds or until well combined. With the motor of the processor running add the oil in a very slow, steady stream in small batches so that it mixes thoroughly. The mixture will thicken as the oil and other ingredients emulsify.
8. If the mixture thickens too quickly, add 1 teaspoon of warm water, mix through and then continue adding the oil. When completed, store the mayonnaise in an air tight container and refrigerate until required.
PEA AND LETTUCE TARTARE SAUCE
9. Place the mayonnaise into a mixing bowl, add the prepared eschalots, gherkin, capers, parsley, chervil, tarragon, peas and lettuce and fold through until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Season to taste, keep in the refrigerator until required.
10. Serve the fishcakes with the tartare dipping sauce.