These muffins come out perfectly every time and the poppy seeds give them quite a different taste to what you might be used to! Effortless and reliable, why not try them out for afternoon tea or as a mid-morning snack?
1 cup sifted self-raising flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
3/4 cup brown sugar br/>2/3 cup olive oil
4 grated carrots
1 1/2 tbs poppy seeds
125g Cream Cheese
75g icing sugar, sifted
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin by greasing lightly with some butter.
2. Mix flour, cinnamon and brown sugar in a large bowl.
3. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and beat lightly, add olive oil. Combine wet ingredients with the flour mixture and mix until there are no lumps.
4. Add the carrot and poppy seeds, stir until well mixed.
5. Split the mixture into the muffin tin, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Once the muffins have cooled for 5 minutes, transfer them to a wire rack to cool further.
7. Add the icing ingredients to a bowl and beat until well combined. Spread the icing onto each muffin using a flat edged butter knife and leave to set. Enjoy warm or store in an airtight container for up to a week.