A gorgeous one-pan meal, this family favourite is super healthy, packed with nutrients, fibre and flavour and is sure to go down a winner!
The best thing is you don't need any weird and wonderful ingredients to bring out the taste in this recipe, you just rely on regular pantry items and in an hour, you have something amazing to put on the table. Awesome!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
2 tblsp plain flour
8 chicken thighs or drumsticks (skinless)
1/4 cup olive oil
300g can chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, diced finely
2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp white sugar
75g feta cheese, chopped
1 large handful fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and place the flour, salt and pepper on a plate. Lightly coat the chicken pieces in the flour.
2. Heat 2 tblsp oil in a large frying pan on a medium to high heat and cook until golden, turning every now and then. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and pour in the drained chickpeas.
3. Heat up the remaining oil in the same frying pan over a medium to high heat and fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Then pour in tomatoes, stock, sugar, salt and pepper and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens and stir it occasionally.
4. Now pour the tomato sauce over the chicken pieces and make sure everything is evenly coated. Cover with baking foil and bake in the oven for half an hour.
5. Remove from the oven, peel back the foil and sprinkle the feta cheese on top. Now bake uncovered in the oven for another 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately with your choice of couscous, rice, or fresh salad.