Orange Polenta Cake
60gm Unsalted butter, soft
150gm Caster sugar
3 Oranges, zest and juice only
1 Vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out
2 Eggs, cracked
4 Eggs, whites only
200gm Natural yoghurt
150gm Fine polenta
55gm Almonds, ground
Bitter Orange Compote
300ml Orange juice, fresh
300gm Caster sugar
540gm 70% Dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Orange Polenta Cake
1. Pre-heat oven to 160c.
2. In the bowl of a mixer, add the butter, sugar, orange zest and vanilla and utilising the paddle attachment, cream the ingredients. Add the eggs and egg whites, one at a time, making sure they are thoroughly combined after each addition, then add the yoghurt and mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
3. In a mixing bowl, add the polenta and almonds, combine, add to the creamed butter and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined then add the orange juice.
4. Fill 10cm long by 4cm wide individual flexi pan moulds, place into the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cakes are cooked through when tested with a skewer, then remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, before removing and placing on a cake rack.
5. Over a moderate heat, in a saucepan, add the orange juice and warm.
6. Place the sugar into a saucepan, place over a moderate heat, cook until the sugar has melted and turned a golden caramel in colour, remove from the heat, add the hot orange juice – BE CAREFUL AS IT WILL BUBBLE AND SPLUTTER – place back onto the heat and bring back to a simmer, whilst stirring the caramel, bring to the boil and boil until the juice and caramel are combined and the syrup has slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set to one side, keeping warm.
7. Place the chocolate in the bowl of a mixer and attach the whisk.
8. Over a moderate heat, in a suitably sized saucepan, place the water, bring to the boil, pour over the chocolate and allow to stand for 1 minute.
9. Place a bowl of iced water under the mixing bowl, so that the water just touches the base of the mixing bowl. Place a cloth around the bowl to eliminate splashes, turn the mixer onto full speed and whisk until the chocolate is cold and the mix is thoroughly combined.
10. Pour the mix into a 1 litre gastronome container and place into a refrigerator on a slight angle, allow to completely set.
To Serve and Finish
11. Place the cakes into the warm syrup for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove and allow to drain on a cake rack.